State Representative John Cabello (R-Machesney Park) attended a press conference this past Sunday to join State Representative Litesa Wallace (D-Rockford) in response to the recent outbreak of shootings and violence in the Rockford area.
“We need to start looking at the early childhood education,” Cabello said. “We need to start there and continue that. If we don’t give our children the opportunity helping them salvage later on these are the problems we are going to continue to see.”
The legislators were accompanied by local leaders and community members to discuss the problems openly. Legislation was filed today to create the Rockford Violent Crime Task Force.
“This isn’t something that we are going to be able to fix overnight,” Cabello said. “It is something that we need to make sure we work on as a community together.”
Watch the full report at WREX.com – Rockford’s News Leader.
House Resolution 494 Highlighted:
(1) study and determine the causes of violent crime in Rockford and nearby affected communities.
(2) study and determine the feasibility of deploying the Illinois State Police to Rockford and nearby affected communities and neighborhoods.
(3) develop a comprehensive long-term solution to the effect of violent crime in the Rockford and nearby affected communities.
(4) recommend a plan of action to substantially reduce the incidents of violent crime in Rockford and nearby affected communities.
(5) draft any necessary legislation and make any necessary recommendations for appropriations to place the plan of action into immediate effect.